Monday, May 3, 2010

San Luis Rey Race Report - Pam Schuster

Racing is never easy. And as much as it would appear with our Team sweeping the podium both days made it look…..it was anything but easy. SLR course is challenging and has components for all to enjoy. Cross winds, climbs, sprint at the end. The field was small….15ish riders. We had 70 plus miles and 5 laps to get to know each other. The first lap was very slow with all chatting the way I know the typical men’s pelotons frequently appear….OK maybe on the last day of the Tour with 150 miles to go…Well at that pace we were going to be out there until sundown. Dotsie decided the 2nd time up the climb to get to know the other rider’s legs, lungs and desire. Well that was a little too early for one ol lady and about half of the group. So at the top of the climb there was 3 Lagrange riders and only 2 SC Velo gals(Dotsie and Steph). My group’s motivation was dependent on when the front group was in site. My motivation was the opposite. I wanted to bridge when the time was right. When they were all working it made no sense for me to do anything and when they weren’t working I had to check my inventory levels of energy to see if a bridge was now or I needed the groups help to get a little closer. Anyway…I am sure I confused them. The cycling powers decided that my group would catch the front group and so my desire to bridge was left unsatisfied. I decided I needed to attack but with over half the race left I didn’t want to be out there alone. I tapped Helen’s rider Karen Menske(she was in the back and I figured strong enough to help) on the hip to get on my wheel. As soon as the groups came together I attacked and with my teammates up front was instantly given a gap. Karen and I worked together with me doing the lion’s share because I was the freshest but soon after that she was gone and decided she didn’t want ride that hard. Well the rest of the race was me all alone never letting up with memories of 1998 Elite Road Nationals when I rode all by myself for 50 miles. At least this wasn’t that far and in 100 degree humidity and heat but the pain was felt just the same. I’m not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was by Toby Keith was the toon I played for all those lonely painful miles. Dotsie lit up the final climb like the 4th of July on the final lap for 2nd followed by Track Star sprinting power, Steph who won the field finish. The race was anything but easy but with the great cohesiveness, positive feedback, sacrifice and teamwork the Team really made it appear that way. Thanks goes to the Team and all the sponsors who make it possible! We really are hoping to be an inspiration to the other teams to race with their hearts, throw caution to the wind, learn from every experience and enjoy the process. Now kiss the joy as it flies away!