Monday, May 10, 2010

Paramount Criterium - Carson, CA - Report by Pam Schuster

Masters Southern California State Criterium Championships - Bonnie Breeze racing 35+ and Pam Schuster racing 45+ (fields racing together).


A fairly good showing for the 35+/45+ early morning race...30 ish riders. The pace was moderate with nothing getting away. For the Incycle/TTT gals it was just me and Bonnie. Our plan was for me to take Bonnie to the line if it came down to a field sprint. However I got a little boxed in with 400 meters to go so Bonnie got out and by time I got up to her Suzanne Sonye was aready heading fast towards the line. I still tried to get to Bonnie and head for the line but Suzanne had clearly earned her medal with a very long haul. Bonnie still won for the 35+ because as she said...I only saw 5's ahead...(that was the numbers on the 45+). Great job Bonnie! Finishing off the podium for the 35+ was Suzan Given from Paramount Racing and Gwen Inglis from Treds.Com/DFT for third. In the 45+ Suzanne Sonye not only won the race overall but gets the bear for the 45+ championship, Pam finished 2nd and Louise Keoghan from NOW-MS Society finished 3rd.


Racing the Elite women's race: PC Calderon, Bea Rodriquez, Pam Schuster and Katie Donovan




The Elite race 1 hourish later was mostly the same group with a few added youngins with fresher leggs. Our team was blessed with the added addition of Katie, Bea and PC. Much more agressive race with one break gaining about 15 secounds. It was a big break with 7-8 riders, me being the only Incycle rider however it was created by teammate Bea. With 3 laps to go this break dissolved and once again it came down to a field sprint. As planned Katie got to the front for our lead out on the final lap. Helen's girls jumped past with 2 corners to go and I jumped on them. Knowing I hopefully had PC or Bea on my wheel I took over with about 300 meter and was sooooooo pleased when lightning fast PC came by in the final 50 meters clearly winning another race for the team!!!! As I know she would say...woot! woot! Sorry don't know exact placings after that because I had to bolt home for a Mother's days celebration!