Thursday, April 30, 2009

Athlete of the Month- May 2009 - Chris DeMarchi - Amgen Cycling Team


Super Empower Athlete, Chris DeMarchi, has been wreaking havoc on both the Pro 1-2 field and 35+ field this spring season. With a long list of wins over domestic pros, Chris earns the top honors of the Empower Coaching Systems Athlete of the Month for May. Congrats Chris!

We had a chance to ask our in-house powerhouse a couple of questions.

1. What motivates you to train so hard and stay so focused on a daily basis
when no one is watching?

[Chris DeMarchi] The objective to succeed and win is a huge driving force in
my life. If it seems impossible then I set personal goals and create this
desire within to make it possible. On the long lonely rides I do a lot of
visualization of winning the upcoming race.


2. What do you like best about your Empower Coaching Systems Coach?

[Chris DeMarchi] The knowledge Dotsie has on and off the bike. Her
understanding of what it takes to be successful runs way deeper than just
intervals on the bike. Her systems offers a 24/7 training program that
includes diet, nutrition, recovery, and positive thinking.

3. What prank would you play on your coach if you could do anything you
wanted?

[Chris DeMarchi] I think I would have to let just enough air out of both of
her tires (80 PSI) so she would not notice, but just think her legs are
feeling kind of heavy, then take her on a 100 mile ride with 10,000 ft of
climbing. Then when she bonks at the 85 mile mark, I would push her home
the rest of the way just to rub it in.


4. When you get your monthly Empower Coaching Schedule, what do you look
forward to seeing on it the most and what do you look forward to the least?

[Chris DeMarchi] Every email I get from my coach is always a positive read,
I look forward to always getting information. I really look forward to the
nutrition and recovery techniques. I have to say that there is nothing I do
not look forward to. All the information I get is always positive and
progresses me forward in my training.


5. Any advice for a new rider beginning with Empower Coaching Systems?

[Chris DeMarchi] Listen, be patient, do not overdue it, pay close attention
to what your body is saying back to you. Truly believe in the system and in
everything your coach gives you. This is the real deal and when the rider
puts in as much effort as the coach does only positive things can come out
of the program.